Monday, January 10, 2011

ooshie fairy

I thought it was going to be impossible. I didn't know how we were possibly going to do it. I had heard other parents tell their stories but I didn't believe it would actually happen to me (or at least without many hours of crying and misery). I am talking about the rite of passage of giving up the pacifier, or in our case, the ooshie. Brooklyn is 2 1/2 and we knew that she needed to move on but I didn't know how to help her. My two older girls didn't take a pacifier so I had no former experience of which to draw upon.

Luckily, Auntie Sammy to the rescue.

My sister Sam told me to have Brookie give them to the ooshie Fairy and the Fairy leaves something in return. At first Brooklyn wanted the present left by the Fairy but didn't want to give away her ooshies. I thought the idea was cut but obviously not going to work this time. Then, the other day she came up to me and said that she wanted to give her ooshies to the Fairy. So... we packed them up and left them on our porch for the Fairy.
Low and behold there was a present waiting for Brookie. Meet Freckle.

That night she cried a little and she has asked where her ooshies are a few times but, all in all, it has been much easier than I expected. Thanks Sam.


5 comments:

Rob and Ashley Seymour said...

I am so SO scared of this too! I keep thinking I should have Taylor give hers up. Maybe I will try this. That is really cute!

terra said...

thats a good idea. Bryna is 3 and still has her sus at bed time.
I think I may try this.

Laura said...

Good to know. We are going to be there soon and need to know how to get the little one off the sou-sou.

Nicole said...

The Soother fairy came to our house one year too! The best idea ever!

Nicole said...

Hey cous- Ryan wanted to ask your hubby about some business stuff. WOuld you email me his number?- millergang@cox.net